February 27, 2013

Throwing Out This Week: Laundry Detergent

We are continuing our quest for a toxic chemical-free home this week.  The deodorant that we made last week continues to do a fabulous job for all of us. If you have not tried making your own, I recommend the recipe here. However, if that one doesn't work for you, there are several more out there on the internet that you could use.

This weekend, I mixed up the following recipe. Because I am always a skeptic, I only made a half-batch. After several loads of successful laundering, I will be mixing up a DOUBLE-batch in the next few days.  It has worked very well for us.

2 cups Borax
2 cups washing soda
1 bar unscented castile soap, grated

I still cannot find washing soda, so I used regular baking soda.  It's working fine.
Instead of grating the whole bar of soap, you could chop it up into small pieces and pulse it in your food processor.  I put all the ingredients in a storage container with a lid and gave it a good shake.  I have been using 2 tablespoons for large loads, and that seems to be enough.

If you are trying to eliminate harmful chemicals from your home, I suggest that you give this a try.  Everyone in your family wears clothes next to their skin or sleeps in sheets washed in laundry detergent every day. So, what you use does matter. 


I recommend checking out this post at oursimplefarm.com  and this post   at theselfsufficienthomeacre.com  for great ideas and inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. I found washing soda in the laundry aisle, next to the borax. Maybe try a drug store?
    Thanks so much for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow for a special hop and a giveaway announcement! :)
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-homeacre-hop-9.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this. My policy: Keep it family-friendly.