September 4, 2010

Friday Night Lights

Last night, we went to our second high school football game of the season. This one was an away game. The boys are still too young to enjoy a good road trip, so the 45-minute drive was pretty boring and uneventful. Unfortunately, our guys lost. BIG TIME. It really did break my heart. About half of them are in  my classes, and they tried to be so positive at school. But, I don't think they had a really good feeling about it.

The more interesting happenings last night were not on the field, however. The elementary and middle school students were doing some serious socializing during the entire game. We want so badly for Boy 1 and Boy 2 to love football as much as we do. And, I think they will one day - but not yet. The second we sat down in the stands, Boy 2 says, "Can we go play with the other kids?" They did, and played HARD until the end of the game. At one point, the same-aged kids from the home team came over to our side, too. For a minute, it looked like that scene from Westside Story when the two gangs meet up. (That's the only part of that movie I've seen; I hate musicals.) They all sized each other up and then started playing together.
Our kids were much sweatier and dirtier than this.

On a weather-related note, I did not sweat at all. This is really saying something. It wasn't exactly my ideal football-watching weather (jeans, sweaters, hot chocolate...), but it was quite pleasant. BTW, I've now started judging the weather by how much I sweat. Sounds gross, but it's really the most practical way here. It can be 80 degrees and cloudy, but if it's really humid, you're going to sweat.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so ready for some football and cooler weather. I really think the cooler weather is coming though. There is a chill in the air, but not quite enough to excite me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leesa....did you ever get the travel tumbler I sent to you? I sent it awhile ago, I hope it didn't get lost.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this. My policy: Keep it family-friendly.