October 15, 2010

On My Mind

    Well, there's no getting around it:  I'm super ready for fall.  My brain has been tuned to the fall foods station for several days now.

    Back when we lived near Sam's Club, I kept a good stock of this pumpkin spice bread mix. They only sell it in the fall, so I bought several boxes and enjoyed them throughout the winter.  It's even better if you add a few extra chopped, toasted pecans to the mix.
Pumpkin Spice Quick Bread Mix

    Hot or cold, it doesn't matter to me, I just love apple cider. One of my fav things to do in the fall is simmer apple juice on the stove with some of Williams-Sonoma's Mulling Spices. Again, when I lived near W-S, I bought a couple of these after Christmas when they were on sale, and pulled them out in the fall once cool weather hit.  I know apple juice and apple cider are not the same thing, but my boys don't like all those yummy pieces of apple that sneak into the cider.  So, I go with the juice.
Mulling Spices, Set of 2


    Soup is great, but I really only want it in the fall and winter when it's cold. One of my favorites is French Onion Soup, which I do know how to make from scratch. It takes a while, but it's so worth it.


   I know I already mentioned apple cider, but really, apple anything is great this time of year. Here's a batch we picked at an orchard last fall. There are no orchards around here, so we'll have to remember to plan a trip next year.





    I'm already wondering how many Thanksgiving lunches and dinners there will be before the actual Big Day. Between work, school, church and family, I'm sure it will be several. Who's complaining?


   What's your favorite fall food?

   I hope you all have a super day and a glorious weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Buenos Dias
    I'm sooooo with you on this one. I'm giddy withthe thought of talking our evening walk with all the leaves changing and falling around us. I love the thought of coming back home after our walk to a nice warm fire and some pumpkin cookies with cinnamon spice frosting and Simply (brand name) Apple cider. I love the thought of the air starting to get crisp and cool enough to wear a sweater or jacket.
    I haven't, however, thought about Thanksgiving yet....I better get busy so I can catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples cooked in various dishes, chilli, vegetable soup and cornbread, chicken and dumplings, turkey and dressing, sweet potatoes...I can go on and on. Saturday evening is the neighborhood party in our cul-de-sac and we're having chilli. Fall weekends in the mountains just can't be beat. Tomorrow is the Talking Rock Festival and I get to play the Calliope again...sure will miss my bubble-blowing grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think about this. My policy: Keep it family-friendly.